Hafodyrynys RFC | 1st Team 7 - 13 Tredegar Ironsides RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
14 March 2017 / Team News

Match Report - Hafodyrynys RFC v Tredegar Ironsides RFC

Hafodyrynys welcomed Tredegar Ironsides to The Welfare Ground with The Hafod  boosted by the return of outside half Rob Smith.  The Rams were expecting a tough against an in form Ironsides team and so it proved with the game being full blooded encounter.  The first half hour was nip and tuck with both defences tackling strongly and it was the returning Rob Smith who created the first opening of the game with he ran back a kick,breached the Ironsides defence and chipped the full back only for the bounce of the ball to elude him.  Ironsides were first to put points on the board with a penalty.
The Rams were hit by the  loss of all action flanker Matt Rogers but the crowd were happy to see the replacement was Jordan Wall who is the son of club legend Chris.
The Ironsides were now starting to put The Hafod's defence under increasing pressure but some superb play saw The Rams turnover the ball and breakout out of defence and young 2nd row Jordan Davies put in a superb kick which wing Erwin Tejam was poised to touch down for a great try when the referee blew up for infringement by one the players following up.  Ironsides increased their lead with a penalty,to leave the half time score 0-6
The Hafod started the 2nd half strongly and were camped on the Ironsides line for a series of 5 metre scrums but when the ball was lost the chance seemed to have gone but a wayward relieving kick was gathered by Jordan Wall who fed wing Erwin Tejam and the wing crossed in the corner for the try.  The try was converted brilliantly from the touchline by scrum half Josh Morgan to give The Rams a 7-6 lead.  The Ironsides continued to press for the next score but The Hafod defence was resolute 
No8 Kyle Griffiths was forced to leave to field to be replaced by Brian Barton on his return from a long injury layoff.  The match winning try came after indiscipline from a Hafod player was punished by a penalty by the referee.  Ironsides kicked for the corner and from the lineout a rolling maul resulted in a try which was converted to give The Ironsides a 13-7 lead and although The Rams strived for the try  which with the conversion would have won the game,they were unable to breech The Ironsides defence.  Final Score 7-13
The losing bonus point was the least The Hafod deserved after such an effort with front row of Huw Morgan,Scott Gameson and captain Dai Rossiter to the fore and the young 2nd row partnership of James Chivers and Jordan Davies combining well in tight and open play

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos