Markham RFC | 1st Team 20 - 22 Hafodyrynys RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
29 October 2017 / Team News

Match Report - Markham RFC Vs Hafodyrynys RFC (Bowl R3)

Hafodyrynys travelled to Markham for their W.R.U Bowl clash,hoping to avenge their recent narrow defeat in the league and came away with a narrow victory,taking Markham's 2yr ground record in the process.  Veteran scrum half Mark(sparky) Williams returned to The Hafod's colours
The game started in the worst possible fashion for The Rams with Markham scoring a try and conversion in the first few minutes but The Hafod forwards were soon putting the Markham pack under pressure and The Rams were rewarded when after a series of strong scrums close to the Markham line,No 8 Kyle Griffths crashed over for the try,the conversion hitting the post leaving the score 7-5
The Hafod were starting to dominate and were unlucky not to score after a break by centre Curtis Harris was carried on by the impressive wing forward Wayne Saunders and 2nd row Daniel Crandon but the ball was lost over the line The Rams were not to be denied however and after all action 2nd row Daniel Crandon had carried the ball strongly,Kyle Griffiths was up in support to take the scoring pass and with Chris Stephens adding the extras  Half time 7-12
The 2nd half started in exciting fashion with Markham coming close to scoring with a kick thru into the dead ball area but The Hafod's covering defence not only snuffed the danger but launched a counter attack which put Wayne Saunders into the clear but was stopped in full flight by a tap tackle.  The game was held up for 5 mins with what seemed a serious neck injury to Kyle Griffiths but happily after treatment the No8 was able to rejoin the fray
The game started to get a bit fractious with yellow card for The Hafod and a straight red for Markham The Rams increased their lead with a Chris Stephens penalty before a Markham penalty cut the deficit to 10-15.  The score which ultimlely decided the game came in bizarre fashion when after a superb kick by outside Rob Smith pinned Markham back into their 22, a quick lineout throw was caught by wing Steve Davies who raced over for the try which Chris Stephens converted Score 10-22.  As the game entered its final minutes any thoughts that The Hafod had of seeing the game out were soon dashed as Markham fought to preserve their ground record and cut the deficit with a try but the conversion was missed to leave the score 20-22
The Hafod's large group of supporters gave great encouragement as The Rams held on for a great victory

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos